Traditional DIY Renovations

My husband and I are renovating our master bathroom and thought we'd share the experience. We're tearing everything out and starting from scratch. Changing a wall, replacing the shower, installing a steam shower, new cabinets, crown molding, baseboards, trim, lights and mirror. I hope you'll join us on our adventure! In case you're not familiar with blogs (like me) I'd like to remind you to start with the bottom blog (the earliest post) and work your way up.

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

I'd like to take a moment and explain to you that my husband and I decided to complete our project before I blogged about it.  We took lots of pictures and wrote plenty of notes to keep it fresh in our minds, so I will be blogging as if it's happening in real time.  Now that we're down to the final details, I'm ready to tell you all about our adventure and the things that we learned along the way.

I believe one of the most important questions should be "why did we decide to remodel our bathroom?" and "why now?"  Well, besides the obvious answer "because it's old and boring", if you look in the lower left corner of our shower you can see that the tiles are pushed out.  Whether it was from mold or mildew, we wanted it out!  We also found out last year that our upstairs shower only had dry wall behind the tiles and did not have the hardibacker board to protect it from moisture (and it passed inspection?!) so it was our assumption that this one didn't have it either.  We were correct.  FYI, the silver square on the bottom is duct tape where we removed and replaced tiles to see what was really behind them (very disappointing).

Our Shower "Before" Picture
The next step was what do we want?  My husband had always wanted a steam shower so this seemed the opportune time to get one.  We cut a hole in the false wall between the shower and the sink to confirm that it was hollow since it looked like the perfect place for the steam unit (and yes, we reattached the piece of wall with duct tape).  We didn't want a bathtub in this bathroom, that's for another bathroom and another blog.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home